In those cases, schools can opt to use a smaller passenger vehicle, such as a sedan, minivan or SUV to transport student from home to school.
A passenger vehicle can be used to transport students to and from school in Michigan if:
- The vehicle has a seating capacity of 8 or less passengers, including the driver
- McKinney – Vento Homeless Assistance Act compliance
- This act has certain requirements for schools on transporting temporarily displaced students. Due to distance or location of a qualifying student, a school bus route may not be available.
- Special Need students who must be transported alone or in small groups
- Student(s) who do not live near an established school bus route
- Student(s) attending a specialty or center-based school that a school bus route does not go to
- Student(s) attending an out-of-district school
- When the cost of using a passenger vehicle is less than utilizing a school bus for the same service
Learn more about all of the great things to experience across Metro Detroit here: Visit Detroit
Drivergent Transportation’s school sedan and van service management experience allows us to become a partner with you in helping to address and solve these problems. We have the ability to:
- Provide individual daily sedan/van route service with our driver and vehicle
- Supplement your existing services
- Provide coverage for your route service shortages
- Provide coverage for unplanned or un-budgeted changes/needs
- Both general-ed and special need transportation options available
- Provide new service or take over for under-performing providers
Contact Us to discuss your situation and let us help you create the solution that’s right for you. Then you can focus on your primary role – providing the best education and guidance to your students.