While these students may face special challenges, they should still be provided the same access to their educational opportunities – and in many cases their access to transportation options is protected by State and Federal law.
In Michigan, there are certain State and Federal legal requirements on schools to provide special need transportation. Which type of transportation service is needed is determined through a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Some of the special need transportation options available are:
- Regular school bus
- Wheelchair lift school bus
- Passenger vehicle (sedan, van or SUV)
- Passenger vehicle with wheelchair ramp
- Special Need students who must be transported alone or in small groups
- Student(s) who do not live near an established school bus route
- Student(s) attending a specialty or center-based school that a school bus route does not go to
- Student(s) attending an out-of-district school
- Number of students being transported in wheelchairs has exceeded fleet capacity
Learn more about all of the great things to experience across Metro Detroit here: Visit Detroit
Drivergent Transportation’s school special need management experience allows us to become a partner with you in providing school special need transportation to help solve these problems. We have the ability to:
- Provide individual daily special need route service with our driver and vehicle
- Supplement your existing services
- Provide coverage for your route service shortages
- Provide coverage for unplanned or un-budgeted changes/needs
- Regular and wheelchair bus transportation options available
- Sedan, van and SUV transportation options available
- Provide new service or take over for under-performing providers
Contact Us to discuss your situation and let us help you create the solution that’s right for you. Then you can focus on your primary role – providing the best education and guidance to your students.